Forty out of the 150 residents abducted from Kuchi community in Munya Local Government Area of Niger State, have been freed by their captors.

The released hostages, predominantly women and children, were set free after the community provided N2 million and 12 Honda motorcycles to the bandits.

The release took place on Tuesday morning following the community’s efforts to meet the bandits’ demands. Each motorcycle reportedly cost N1.2 million. However, 110 hostages remain in captivity.

READ ALSO: Dangote Refinery Announces Fresh Date To Commence Fuel Supply In Nigeria

Reliable sources indicated that the bandits have proposed to release another 40 hostages if the community can provide an additional N2 million and six more motorcycles. Negotiations are ongoing between the bandits and community representatives.

DAILY POST recalls that this ordeal began three weeks ago when a large group of bandits invaded Kuchi community.

The attack resulted in the deaths of seven individuals, including four security personnel. The bandits looted homes, shops, and barns, taking over 150 residents hostage in an assault that lasted more than three hours without any resistance from security forces.

Initially, the bandits demanded N150 million for the release of all captives, but the community attempted to negotiate a payment of N100,000 per person, which the bandits refused.


The bandits later settled for the motorcycles and cash deal for the release of smaller groups of hostages.

According to a source: “We have been negotiating with the bandits but finally they agreed to collect six Honda motorcycles and N2 million for the release of two groups totaling 40 in number.

“The 150 people they abducted were divided into six groups, and they said we should bring six Honda motorcycles and N2 million cash for each of the groups.

“This is after they rejected our initial offer of N100,000 for each person. They have released two groups, remaining four groups.”

The source also expressed frustration over the lack of government and security presence, stating: “Since the incident, no single government official or security agent has visited the community for on-the-spot assessment of what happened. The community is left without security at the moment and it has remained deserted.”

Local government chairman Aminu Najume confirmed the attack and abduction but could not verify the release of the 40 hostages.

He clarified that the council was not involved in the negotiations. Najume promised to gather information and update accordingly.

Similarly, Wasiu Abiodun, the spokesperson for the Niger State Police Command, said he would verify the information and provide details.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here