A coalition of concerned and independent legal practitioners representing families of detained and missing persons in the South-East has called on the Federal Government to immediately produce persons allegedly being held without trial and either prosecute them before competent courts or release them.
The lawyers made the demand during a press conference at the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) Headquarters in Umuahia, Abia State, on August 13, 2026.
The press statement was delivered by the lead counsel of the legal team acting on the instructions of Mazi Chris Nwaọgụ, identified in the document as Head of the Directorate of State of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).
The legal practitioners said they were representing families whose relatives had allegedly been arrested, detained or gone missing during security operations across the South-East.
They alleged that several people had been subjected to prolonged detention, torture and enforced disappearance, while others allegedly died in custody.
The lawyers cited incidents including the May 30, 2016 Nkpor incident, the February 2016 National High School Aba incident, the January 2017 Port Harcourt rally and the September 2017 Operation Python Dance II in Afaraukwu, Umuahia.
They also raised concerns over the alleged transfer of suspects arrested in the South-East to the Wawa Military detention facility in Niger State.
According to the group, accounts from human rights organisations and former detainees have raised allegations of prolonged confinement, inadequate feeding, poor sanitation, lack of medical care and abuse at the facility.
The lawyers specifically demanded answers over the death of Mrs. Calista Ifedi, whom they said had been detained since November 2021 over an alleged connection with IPOB before her death in custody emerged publicly.
They called on the authorities to produce her remains and provide a full account of the circumstances surrounding her death.
The group announced plans to initiate coordinated legal and accountability proceedings involving the Federal Government, South-East Governors Forum, Nigerian Army, Nigeria Police Force and Department of State Services.
They said the proposed action would seek to establish the whereabouts of missing persons and demand explanations for the prolonged detention of suspects away from the places where they were allegedly arrested.
“We will demand that they account for every single missing person,” the lawyers stated.
They further said they would seek compensation for families of victims where violations are established and prosecution of any individual against whom admissible evidence establishes criminal responsibility.
The legal team said it had gathered sworn affidavits from affected families, medical reports from survivors, photographs and documented testimonies to support its claims.
The lawyers argued that the 2017 proscription of IPOB does not remove the constitutional rights of individual citizens to personal liberty, fair hearing and protection against torture or inhuman treatment.
They maintained that suspects must be accused of specific offences recognised under written law and afforded due process rather than subjected to punishment merely on the basis of alleged association.
The group also questioned what it described as unequal application of the criminal justice system, arguing that suspects arrested in connection with alleged IPOB activities should be treated according to the same constitutional procedures applicable to other criminal suspects.
“Any person against whom there is admissible evidence of a criminal offence must be charged and tried. Any person against whom there is none ought to be released,” the lawyers declared.
They demanded that suspects arrested over alleged offences in the South-East be promptly brought before competent civilian courts in accordance with the Constitution and the Administration of Criminal Justice Act.
The legal practitioners also appealed to the United Nations, African Union, European Union, United States and United Kingdom to take interest in the allegations surrounding missing and detained persons in the region.
According to the group, an extensive list of allegedly missing persons is being compiled as more families submit sworn depositions, with plans to present the information to international institutions including the International Criminal Court, African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights and the United Nations.
The lawyers further announced that another press conference would be held to present what they described as photographic evidence, medical reports, videos and detailed case files relating to alleged victims.
Concluding, the group called on the Federal Government to account for missing persons, investigate allegations of torture and unlawful killings and end prolonged detention without trial.
“Produce them. Charge those against whom admissible evidence exists. Try them before competent civilian courts. Release those against whom there is none. Account for the disappeared. Investigate torture and unlawful killings,” the statement said.
The statement was signed by Segun Adekoya, Esq., Principal Counsel of the Independent Legal Team for the Families of the Detained and Missing Persons.
The allegations contained in the statement are claims by the legal practitioners and affected families. Responses from the Federal Government and the security agencies named in the statement were not contained in the document.









