Retired military personnel on Wednesday suspended their planned protest after the minister of defense, Gen. Christopher Musa (retd.), assured them that the federal government would address their demands over pension adjustments and other welfare concerns.

The decision followed a meeting between representatives of the protesting ex-servicemen and officials of the Ministry of Defense at Ship House, Abuja.

One of the leaders of the protesters, Col. Innocent Azubike (retd.), said the authorities had acknowledged that their demands were genuine and commenced steps towards addressing the issues.

“Authorities have accepted our cause was genuine and promised and initiated action also to compute our consequential allowance and include it in the fund requirement for implementation of the new outcome.

“That was mission achieved as far as we are concerned. And part of what really made them react was that the media were publicizing it. They felt it was becoming a scandal and quickly solved the problem.

“At this moment, for me, I will be getting back to my station. All our people have dispersed,” Azubike said.

The minister of defense, who was represented at the meeting by the permanent secretary, Richard Pheelangwah, assured the veterans that the government was committed to addressing their welfare, remuneration, and pension concerns.

In a statement by the ministry’s spokesman, Henshaw Ogubike, Musa said issues relating to wage and pension adjustments were receiving urgent attention, with relevant military, pension, and financial authorities being engaged to find a sustainable solution.

He said, “Concerns relating to wage and pension adjustments are receiving urgent attention, with relevant military, pension, and financial authorities being engaged to achieve a fair, sustainable, and implementable resolution that ensures veterans are not unfairly disadvantaged.

The minister also appealed to the protesters to remain calm and embrace dialogue, stressing that any adjustment to veterans’ entitlements must be properly computed, adequately funded, and implemented in line with existing approvals and regulations.

“Any adjustment to veterans’ entitlements must be properly computed, adequately funded, and implemented in accordance with extant approvals, regulations, and due process,” he said.

Sponsored

Musa further assured the veterans that the ministry would continue to engage their representatives and provide updates as progress was made on their demands.

The protest had earlier been disrupted by a heavy deployment of soldiers and policemen around the Ministry of Defense.

Our correspondent, who arrived at the ministry at about 8 am, observed personnel of the Nigeria Police Force, Nigerian Army, Nigeria Immigration Service, and Vehicle Inspection Officers deployed around the venue.

Armed soldiers were also seen moving around the venue as security operatives took strategic positions along roads leading to the ministry.

The correspondent counted two armored personnel carriers and more than 15 vehicles belonging to the police, army, immigration service, and VIO stationed at both ends of the roads around the protest venue.

The retired military personnel had attempted to converge at the ministry to protest what they described as the failure of the authorities to implement consequential pension adjustments arising from salary increases approved for serving military personnel.

The development reportedly resulted in a confrontation between some serving soldiers and the retired personnel as security operatives moved to prevent the veterans from assembling at the ministry.

The ex-servicemen are particularly demanding that pensioners benefit from consequential adjustments arising from salary increases approved for serving military personnel.

Azubike had earlier said the retirees were not opposed to salary increases for serving personnel but wanted corresponding adjustments to their pensions.

He also raised concerns over the latest salary increase announced for military personnel in August 2026, which is expected to take effect in September, alleging that pensioners were excluded from the computation.

SPONSORED

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here