A fresh power tussle has erupted in the Labour Party as Abia State Governor Alex Otti and the party’s national leadership clash with embattled former National Chairman Julius Abure over the sales of nomination forms ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Abure was accused of acting in defiance of court rulings and the position of the Independent National Electoral Commission.
The controversy followed photographs that went viral on social media showing Abure presenting what he described as Labour Party nomination forms to a former National Vice Chairman of the party, Ceekay Igara, and other party members in Abia State.
Reacting on Sunday, the party’s national publicity secretary, Ken Asogwa, warned aspirants and party supporters against obtaining nomination forms from Abure, describing the documents as “worthless paper.”
He said, “Let it be stated clearly and unequivocally that Nenadi Usman is the National Chairman of the Labour Party, and all legitimate nomination forms for every elective position ahead of the 2027 general elections can only be obtained through the official national secretariat of the party located in Utako, Abuja.
“Consequently, any so-called Labour Party nomination form obtained from Julius Abure or any other unauthorised source is nothing but worthless paper being peddled by political fraudsters seeking to deceive unsuspecting persons.”
The party further questioned why Abure’s alleged sales activities were concentrated in Abia State, warning that Otti would not succumb to “blackmail, intimidation or street-corner political theatrics.”
It also accused Abure of criminal impersonation for continuing to parade himself as the party’s national chairman.
The warning came hours after Otti, through his Chief Press Secretary, Ukoha Ukoha, criticised Abure for continuing to issue nomination forms despite what he described as existing court rulings recognising Usman as the party’s interim leader.
Ukoha told our correspondent that both the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal had ruled in favour of the Usman-led leadership structure, adding that INEC had already complied with the court directive.
He said, “I think Abure is in a better position to explain the grounds on which he is still parading himself after a Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal ruled that Senator Nenadi Usman was the interim leader of the Labour Party before the convention.
“So, the party has moved on. INEC has also complied with the directive of a competent court of jurisdiction. That is contempt of court on the part of Julius Abure.”
Ukoha also argued that INEC could not legitimately monitor any electoral process conducted under Abure’s authority.
However, Igara defended the issuance of the forms, saying the action was a precautionary move pending the outcome of cases before the courts.
According to him, stakeholders were trying to avoid a vacuum should the Supreme Court eventually rule in favour of Abure.
He said, “We have two matters, one at the Supreme Court and the other at the Federal High Court.
“If we say Abure should be docile, all the 33 states that conducted congresses will just go into extinction. If the Supreme Court later gives him the structure and primaries have closed, what happens?”
Igara added that consultations were ongoing and that the forms were only being distributed ahead of future primaries.
Efforts to reach Abure for comment were unsuccessful as calls and messages to his phone were not returned at the time of filing this report.
Defending their position, spokesman for the Abure group, Obiora Ifoh, insisted that they remained the legitimate leadership of the party pending the final determination of the matter by the Supreme Court.
He said, “Our matter is in court. Until the Supreme Court decides the actual leadership, we believe that the Nnewi Convention that elected Abure and the NWC, which has not been discharged, is still running.









